Thursday, April 07, 2005

I hate it when that happens......

I am so relaxed. Sitting on the porch of a cute little white house lined with red brick and drinking tea in the cool of the summer evening. I think I am reading a book. I see friends. Friends and people I haven’t seen in years. Everyone is here. We are chatting about the “good ol’ times.” I am so happy to have everyone so close to me. I begin to walk about in the yard, when all of the sudden, a gopher creeps out from a bush. It sees me, stops for a moment, and then without notice, begins charging at my feet. I run. I run so fast I can’t keep up with my legs. I fall. The ground does not catch me. I continue to fall when finally I am caught by a pile of sand. I am in a desert. But it is not hot, it is very cold, I take two steps and then I am at my high school. How wonderful, I think. I see my principal, only it is not really my principal, it is Vanna White. I wonder, when did Vanna White become principal of my school? I say hello and she tells me to get to class. Oh man, math. So, I head to my math class and I see my teacher, who’s face is that of a turtle. (I always thought he looked like a turtle) he hands me a simple test. Fractions?!?! I am horrible with fractions. No, I can’t do this. I run from the class and am nabbed by security. “Where ya headin’ Ms. Roach Inn?” (I hate when they say my name wrong.) I took one look at the face of the security guard and I had to run. He was scarred and bleeding. He scared me. I ran out into the quad and apparently it was some kind of celebration. There was loud mariachi music and everyone was dancing. There were bright colors everywhere. It was beautiful in its own way. I see my friends. Everyone is here. I am happy. I am dancing. Then all of the sudden, a loud buzzing sound echoes through the quad. The people are disturbed. Everyone is rushing around trying to scatter. It sounds as if it is some kind of alarm that would sound in a world emergency. I begin to run for shelter, only I do not know where to go. I find my daughter who has happened upon the quad, and Luke is there with me now. We are trying to find where the source of this noise is coming from so we can figure out what we need to do. Luke picks me and Juliana up in his arms. (He was so strong and burly.) He takes us and he is running. He brings us to a tall building and tells us to go inside. I see him running throughout this huge yard seeking the source of this sound. The noise is so loud that I do not hear my daughter crying right next to me. I turn to her, she has skinned her knee. I yell for Luke but he cannot hear me. “LUKE! LUKE!” I am shouting as loud as I can. The sound of the buzzing drowns me out. Finally, he comes to my side. “We must go home,” he says. So, we went. We had dinner, and played Candyland. I was so frustrated because I couldn’t hear myself think over the loud sound that was still omitting overhead. I finally decided that I would find the stupid thing that was making so much noise and I would figure a way to turn it off. I am running frantically to find the source. I am frustrated and sweaty. I am so angry because every time I think I am near it, I do not find it and it seems to have traveled to a whole different location. I scream at the top of my lungs, “TURN IT OFF!!!!” By this time, I am entirely pissed because it has been going on for some time now, and although at times I have been able to ignore it, it is as if it is getting even louder now. “WHERE IS IT, DAMMIT?! WHERE IS IT?” With no luck on finding the source, I finally give up on my search and decided to try and get some sleep. But, how was I going to get any sleep with all this flippin’ noise going on?!
And then it hit me. That’s exactly it! I am not supposed to sleep.....I am supposed to WAKE UP!
So, I rolled over and turned off the alarm clock.
I hate it when that happens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home